Being a member of Village Church is for anyone who is called to the mission of Village and wants to be identified as part of the core.
There are a number of reasons why we have a membership process:
Biblical – The early church had a notion of membership that included numerical record (Acts 2:37-47), records of widows (1 Timothy 5:3-16), elections (Acts 6:1-6), discipline (Matthew 18:15-20; 1 Corinthians 5; Galatians 6:1), accountability (Hebrews 13:17), and an awareness of who was a regular and committed participant (Romans 16:1-16).
Cultural – In present day, unlike the first century, a church is a legal, charitable organization with voting members and tax receipting status. But more, we see church membership as committing to something beyond ourselves, which builds character. We live in an age when few want to be committed to anything: a job, a marriage, our country. This attitude has produced “church shoppers and hoppers.” Membership swims against the current of “consumer religion.” It is an unselfish decision.
Practical – Membership defines who can be counted on. Every team has a roster. Every school has an enrolment. Every business has a staff. Membership identifies our core family. Only members can vote on the affairs of the church, and certain ministry positions require membership – such as pastors, elders, deacons, Group leaders, helping with finances, and other key leadership positions.
Personal – Membership supports spiritual growth. The New Testament places a major emphasis on the need for Christians to be accountable to each other for spiritual growth. You can not be accountable when you are not committed to anything.
What is the process for becoming a member?
1. Acknowledge the Lordship of Jesus Christ through personal confession of faith and baptism.
2. Complete all four tracks of the “This is Village Church Course” (TIVC)
3. Submit the “Membership Request Form,” confirming your Christian beliefs and experience by
4. Participate in an interview with two church leaders.
5. Be unanimously approved by the Elder Team.
- You support the testimony of Village
- You share the responsibility of Village
- You serve in the ministry of Village
- You submit to the authority of the Elders/Pastors of Village
The above principles are covered in more detail in the prerequisite “This is Village Church Course” offered here.